Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lions and Tornadoes and Meth Freaks, Oh My!

My family and I have found a nature trail maybe five minutes from our house. It's a narrow strip of woods  maybe two hundred feet wide between two suburban neighborhoods, and a stream runs through the middle of it. We often take our dog, a Newfoundland, on walks there during the summer months, because he's built for cold, wet weather, and being able to jump in a mountain stream helps him deal with the 90+ degree weather here. So, on father's day, while my dad and I were off bonding, my mother took our dog for a walk on this nature trail. We tend not to use a leash with him because he's slow moving and incredibly gentle, and this time he had wandered maybe fifty feet out in front of my mother when a fully grown mountain lion stalked out onto the trail about ten feet in front of her. Luckily our dog ran back and scared it away from my mother, but I shudder to think what would've happened had our dependable Silas not been there. On a further note,  my mother called animal control the next day and the cougar was removed, but there's no telling how long that cougar was roaming around within a few hundred feet of all the small children in those two neighborhoods.

As for tornadoes? One hit Billings, MT a few days ago. Billings is about a three hour drive away from Bozeman, and, perhaps needless to say, does not often get hit by tornadoes. Or at least, that's what I thought. Then I found this website http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com/, which indicates that MT has been hit by several tornadoes a year since at least 1950. My bad? Anywho, when the tornado hit Billings, no one was killed, but the twister did tear the roof off the convention center. Catch the crazy video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlGsNN7TPrc

As for meth freaks? A friend of mine is going to be in a ten minute student film, which will essentially be a ten minute parkour chase and fight scene. It's all going down at a crazy abandoned flour mill, which he took me out to yesterday. He showed me the route they're taking, over sheds and weird abandoned equipment overgrown with grass- cool stuff. My friend made it look all graceful and fantastically easy, but, of course, as I attempted to follow him at a vastly slower pace, I just barely avoided falling five feet into a big bundle of rusty, sharp scrap metal. Parkour, apparently, will not be my thing anytime soon. As for the meth freaks? We circled around the outside of the mill, and found a variety of beaten down trails in the grass going straight into the abandoned mill. There was a partially closed garage door that we peeked under. Cheetos wrappers, a couch, and a few old syringes. Needless to say, we left in a hurry. The film may or may not be moved to a new location, depending.

Montana, it seems is still packed with random dangers, but I'm still having a great time. Karate is everything I wanted it to be with chill instructors, one-on-one coaching, physical conditioning, and three chances a week to come in. I'm officially a white belt, and the gi is a nice loose fit. I'm so excited I've been practicing my blocks and kicks casualy around the house!

As for movies, the A-Team was a bit lackluster. This is coming from a guy who loves campy action movies. Other than the tank-falling-out-of-the-sky scene, there were two great over the top sequences, but the rest of the movie didn't quite hit that ridiculous adrenaline/goofy humor mix right. A lot of posturing with machine guns, not nearly enough cray tank sequences. A decent time sink, but whatever your current expectations are, lower them a few notches, and you've probably got what this movie is.

However, I highly recommend Get Him to the Greek, which is not only hilarious, but actually pays attention to things like character development, which is a traditional weakness for the comedy genre. However, as the critics are saying, Get Him to the Greek not only pounds out fantastic laughter, but also has a sprinkling of character development, and the chemistry between the stars is absolutely phenomenal. A definite must-see!

It's getting late here, so I'm signing off. More soon, depending on how quickly interesting things continue to happen to/around me, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment